Life is inherently unpredictable, and at any given moment, unforeseen circumstances can drastically alter our lives. Ensuring the financial security of oneself and loved ones in the face of such uncertainties is a paramount concern for every individual. Endowment plans emerge as an ideal solution for those seeking financial stability and support for future investments. Here are some informative statistics concerning endowment plans in Singapore:
- In the year 2022, the total sum of new endowment plan premiums in Singapore amounted to an impressive S$14.5 billion.
- On average, individuals in Singapore pay an annual premium of approximately S$10,000 for their endowment plans.
- The typical maturity period for an endowment plan in Singapore spans around 15 years.
- Endowment plans in Singapore offer an average guaranteed return of 3.5% per annum.
- Additionally, these plans provide an average non-guaranteed return of approximately 5% per annum.
- Surprisingly, it’s noteworthy that roughly 60% of endowment plans in Singapore are surrendered before reaching maturity.
- The primary reasons for such surrenders often include financial hardship, evolving financial priorities, and dissatisfaction with the returns.
Endowment plans encompass a disciplined approach to creating a robust financial safety net. These plans effectively serve as a retirement account that matures over a specified period, catering to various financial needs.
Additionally, they offer a life cover that secures the future expected savings for the family in the unfortunate event of the policyholder’s unexpected demise. We’re here to walk you through five key aspects you should be aware of before considering the purchase of an endowment plan.
Survival Benefits with Endowment Plans
One distinctive feature of endowment policies is that they guarantee the payment of a sum assured to the policyholder if they survive the duration of the contract. In the unfortunate event of the policyholder’s demise during the term, the nominees are entitled to receive the sum assured along with any additional incentives.
Endowment plans typically offer better returns compared to conventional life insurance or term insurance plans. This is due to the inclusion of extra premiums and the additional incentives provided by the plan.
Flexible-Premium Payment Frequency
Insurers offering endowment policies often provide flexible premium payment terms. Policyholders can choose a premium payment frequency that suits their convenience, whether it’s monthly, bi-annual, annual, or a one-time lump sum payment.
Flexibility of Cover
Endowment plans offer flexibility in terms of coverage. Policyholders have the option to purchase additional incentives or riders, such as partial or total disability riders, critical illness riders, accidental death riders, and more. While these riders affect the payable premiums, they enhance the scope of coverage.
Income Tax Benefits
Endowment plans come with tax advantages. Premiums paid and key benefits, such as the sum assured and maturity income, are eligible for tax exemption under Sections ATC and 10D of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
When contemplating an endowment plan in Singapore, it’s vital to consider the following factors:
- Endowment plans fall within the realm of insurance products, thus incurring associated fees and charges.
- It’s important to note that returns from endowment plans are not assured and can vary in accordance with market fluctuations.
- Endowment plans may not align with the financial goals of everyone. If you prioritize a secure and guaranteed savings method, an endowment plan might not be your optimal choice.
It’s essential to recognize that endowment plans offer attractive returns and insurance coverage when viewed as long-term investments. However, choosing the right policy requires careful consideration of personal needs, risk tolerance, current financial circumstances, and future requirements. If you are deliberating on an endowment plan, seeking advice from a financial advisor is crucial. Their personalized guidance can facilitate your understanding of the diverse endowment plan options available and assist you in selecting the one that best suits your specific needs.